Import Policy Order – 2016: second hand machinery older than 10 years not allowed
KARACHI: The ministry of commerce has imposed restriction on import of second hand machinery that are older than ten years.
According to Import Policy Order – 2016, import of second hand plant, machinery and equipment and specialized machinery by construction, mining and petroleum sector, are allowed to:
(1) Construction companies, duly registered with Pakistan Engineering Council, mining, oil and gas and petroleum sector companies are allowed to import second-hand plant, machinery and equipment actually required for their projects in Pakistan subject to the prior pre-shipment inspection in the exporting country by any of the internationally recognized pre-inspection companies listed at Appendix-H to the effect that the plant, machinery and equipment are in good working condition and they are not older than ten years;
(2) Oil, Gas and Petroleum sector companies are also allowed import of used drilling rigs, not older than twenty years subject to pre-shipment inspection by one of the companies listed in Appendix–H certifying that the said rigs are in good working condition and have a minimum remaining productive life of ten years;
(3) Construction, mining and petroleum sector companies are also allowed to import second-hand or re-conditioned parts of the plant, machinery and equipment as clause (1);
(4) Second-hand or used passenger transport vehicles, including buses (PCT heading Nos. 87.02 and 87.03), trucks (PCT heading No. 87.04) and static road rollers of 10-12 tons capacity, 55 HP (PCT heading No. 8429.4000) shall not be allowed;
(5) Construction companies, mining, oil, gas and petroleum sector companies are also allowed to import specialized vehicle-mounted machinery and transport equipment such as mobile transit mixer, concrete pumps, crane lorries, concrete placing trucks, dumpers designed for off highway use, cement bulkers and prime movers 380 HP and above, etc. including those specified in Appendix-I. Import of said specialized machinery or transport equipment as mentioned above shall however be subject to prior pre-shipment inspection in the exporting country from any of the internationally recognized pre-shipments inspection companies listed at Appendix-H to the effect that the said machinery or transport vehicles are (a) Euro-II compliant (b) manufactured as such by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM); and (c) not older than five years; and
(6) Commercial importers may also be allowed to import plant, machinery and equipment, excluding specialized vehicle-mounted machinery or transport equipment as in para(5) above, on behalf of construction companies duly registered with Pakistan Engineering Council, mining, gas and petroleum sector companies. The imports will however, be subject to conditions mentioned in clause (1).