KARACHI: The government has agreed on deferring the deadline for disabling unregistered mobile phones from October 20 and the action will be taken after consultation with stakeholders, sources said on Wednesday.
This assurance was given by Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui, Federal Minister for Information Technology at a meeting with Karachi based electronic dealers, the sources added.
A delegation of Karachi Electronic Itehad Penal met IT Minister and expressed their reservations on the action take by Pakistan Telecom Authority (PTA). The delegation apprised the minister about the negative impact on the market due to immediate closure of unregistered IMEI.
The delegation was headed by Idrees Memon and other members comprised Ameen Memon, Rasheed Noorani, Mohammad Faheem, Naqi Chand, Irfan Maya and others.
Idrees Memon said that the minister had informed the decision had been deferred and this issue would be resolved after consultations with stakeholders.